Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Martin Sheen's Post "West Wing" Plans

From Irish Abroad:
"Martin Sheen is looking to the days when his popular West Wing program is no longer a staple on NBC — and his post-White House plans include a period of study in Ireland.

“I never got my high school diploma and have always felt a need to address that,” Sheen said last week.

“I’ll be 65 this summer and have received a number of degrees, but no proper education since I started acting. My plan is to read English literature, philosophy and theology in Galway in Ireland, where my late mother came from, and where I am also a citizen,” he added.

Sounds like a pretty tough course load for a high school drop-out, but Sheen will be greeted with open arms at the National University of Ireland in Galway, if he eventually winds up there.

“We do have the Huston School of Film and Digital Media of which Anjelica Huston is a patron,” said a university spokesperson. “If he is aware of that I don’t know. Obviously he would be most welcome.”

Sheen has always taken a shine to his Irish roots, and has visited the country several times. At one point he was a celebrity spokesperson for Tourism Ireland, and he’s been an outspoken opponent of the Irish government allowing U.S. military planes to refuel at Shannon Airport on their way to Iraq.

Sheen’s mother was a native of Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary. He visited her homeplace a couple of years back to celebrate what would have been her 100th birthday with various family members who still live in the area."

No comments: